Friday, August 6, 2010

Carpe Diem!


Ok, its Friday! I want you to really ENJOY your weekend. Don't wait until tomorrow, start enjoying today. Too often we get fixated on finances, rushing our children from here to there, running errands, planning meals, not to mention succeeding at our jobs outside the home and dealing with stress related to that...we forget to  appreciate our children's laughter, how brightly the sun is shining and how fresh the air smells and the new veggies growing in your garden.

You may be wondering what I put in my Cheerios this morning. I'm just a little affected (ok, a LOT affected) by some recent deaths and illnesses around me. I have been under a lot of stress over the last 2 years because of this horrible economy...and when I've had some moments of clarity I've said, "At least I have my health." But I am realizing more and more health is not something to take for granted.  There are people who seemingly do all the "right" things - work hard all their lives, stay out of trouble, eat right, exercise,  treat their loved ones well - and they seem to get the raw end of the deal. They unfairly get terrible illnesses or have unfortunate accidents and get taken from us too soon.

 When it's your time to go, it's your time and there is nothing you can do to control it. A lot of the time, you don't see it coming. That's why you have to live every day like you could go any time. Not to do anything crazy. Just make sure the people you love know you love them. Make sure you have said all you need to say. Make sure your affairs are in order - stop putting off doing a will!  But mostly, stop obsessing about all the bad stuff. Half of the things I dwell on won't matter when I'm gone. Traffic, being late, did so-and-so like their gift, was dinner cooked too long. Really - wouldn't you rather spend your time relaxing in the sunshine and watching your kids play, or meet a close friend for a drink? Hug a loved one, read a good book, leave the dusting and vacuuming for another day, and have another glass of wine or an extra helping of dessert simply because it tastes good. :)

2 comments:

Hungripeeps want to say: