Tuesday, March 19, 2013

#Paleo Cauliflower Rice


Lately I have been hearing a lot about cauliflower rice and became curious about giving it a try. My husband and I have been eating more paleo recipes and are considering giving it a shot as a lifestyle. Neither of us are going to eat bland things that we don't like for the sake of any type of diet, so we are trying to find the things that will become easy staples. We are switching one of our sons to a gluten free diet (a whole other post altogether) so there are a lot of changes going on in our kitchen these days!

As I mention often, I love recipes with minimal ingredients, and this surely met that requirement. Here are the basics:

- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion (I used 1/2 shallot because I had one I wanted to use)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper

Start with a whole head of cauliflower


What to do:

Rinse cauliflower under cool water and pat dry.
  1. Pulse the cauliflower to a coarse texture (approximately the size of rice grains) in a food processor. You may also use a cheese grater to get the desired texture. 
  2. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
  3. Sauté the onion (or shallot) and garlic for 3–4 minutes, or until the onion is relatively translucent.
  4. Add in the cauliflower rice and continue to sauté for 4–5 minutes.
  5. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

Cut of the stem and leaves and make florets

Pulse or grate until it looks sort of like this

The garlic and shallot "clove" provided a nice subtle flavor

Cooking notes: This turned out fabulous, my husband loved it too. My kids didn't get into it, but I didn't expect them to on the first try. I felt this was a very healthy alternative to a side of grains. I think getting out the food processor on a week night is a little much for me, but I like super easy recipes with minimal mess. I will definitely make this again, but most likely on the weekend when I am not as pressed for time to get the dishes and kitchen cleaned up.

Eat healthy, friends!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hungripeeps want to say: