Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm OK With the "Hallmark Holiday"



It's Valentine's Day and my husband is under the weather. He actually stayed home from work, so I know he's feeling lousy. We don't have any special plans tonight, but I'm ok with that. On my negative days I call Valentine's Day a "Hallmark Holiday"... a day over-marketed so that people will go out and buy cards, spend money on over-priced meals in super-crowded restaurants and get lousy service.

But really, I don't mind. I think any day where we stop and take time to appreciate our loved ones and do extra special things for them is great. But I don't think we need to have the date dictated by anyone, it can and should be any day we like.

Of course we always cave in and do something. My husband is pretty traditional and I can sometimes be high maintenance so there is no way he'd ever NOT do anything for me. I made sure he and the kids had Valentine's cards when they woke up this morning, but since today was a school and work day our morning was otherwise pretty ordinary. Chip did take my car into the shop and got me new brakes. While most may not consider this a romantic gesture, I am nonetheless thrilled!

This past weekend we went with two other couples to a fabulous winery dinner/Valentine celebration. My parents had our kids and we got to spend the evening with good friends of ours and we drank great wine all night. We had a really fun time, and it met every expectation I had for Valentine's Day. I don't need expensive gifts or romantic surprises. Call me boring, but after 6 years of marriage I am happy with "recognition" of Valentine's Day. It's not like its our anniversary or something!

I came home from work to nice cards from Chip and the boys. He doesn't have much of an appetite, so I'll just make a standard dinner for me and the kids. I will spend my evening tending to a sick husband but that is ok. In my mind we have already celebrated, and even though he is sick it will be nice to have him at home tonight since ordinarily he'd be at work.

Wishing all of you lovelies a wonderfully romantic evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungripeeps want to say: