Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

Sleeping Beauty Pictures, Images and Photos

My running buddy and I had already decided to take this morning off. I was still planning to get up and do a yoga DVD before work, but my children had other plans for me. At 2:30 Monkey came to my bedside and said, "Mommy, take me back to my room." This doesn't happen super frequently, but often enough to not be all that surprised. I decided I would just crawl into bed with him until my alarm went off at 5:30. He's got a full size bed, and I'm 5'2 so we fit well in there together! It could tell when I lay down next to him that I wasn't going to fall asleep right away. Then my mind started to wander, and I tried to get myself back on track with "sleepy" thoughts. Before I knew it, Buddha had opened his door. His room is across from Monkey's, so as soon as I heard the baby gate we have across his room rattle, I tried to act quickly but turns out Monkey was still awake and he sat up. We both went to get our little Buddha, and brought him into the bed with us. After what seemed like quite a while of listening him recite the Cat in the Hat, and singing Frosty the Snowman, he and Monkey were out. And soon, so was I. My alarm went off before I knew it, and there was no way I was getting up to do yoga. I slept for as long as possible, and quite soundly.

I had a decent day at work, although the commute home was hell. I planned to make a quinoa recipe for dinner tonight, but discovered a box of Kamut Spirals in my pantry that were near expiration so I decided to switch things up. Kamut is a grain high in protein and minerals, but it is not gluten free.  I also made the decision to do the Kamut instead of quinioa because I have a great recipe that calls for artichokes, and I had a few artichokes that needed eating before they went bad. I am sorry I did not take photos, but I think it sounds good enough to try without seeing it!

Ingredients:
1 12 oz box kamut spirals
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb chicken breast, cut into small chunks
4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 15 oz cans quartered artichokes, drained and chopped
(I substituted 2 fresh artichokes, steamed with most of the outer leaves removed)
1/2 cup or more grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheeese - my favorite on pasta
1 tsp basil

Cook pasta according to directions. While waiting, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium high. Saute the chicken, until browned. Add garlic and saute briefly. Then add the white wine, salt, pepper, artichokes and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked. Turn the burner off and place pan on an alternate burner. Put the pasta in a large bowl, add the cheese and mix gently. Add the sauce and combine. Sprinkle with basil. (I always opt to use fresh, however I did not have any on hand).

Doesn't this sound heavenly?

Have a great night! Hope my children sleep on through so I can make my 6 a.m. running date!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good (and easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm sleep sounds awesome. I accidentally fell asleep with Goose and took a 2.5hr nap this afternoon (thank you blizzard snow day!) but I'm ready again. I hope y'all get sleep tonight so you can get your run in tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: