Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Drinking the Blues Away

I know, if you see one more of these on my blog you might not come back! Sorry!
It seems I've been talking non-stop about my green smoothie obsession lately. I chat about them with my running buddy in the morning, and my posts on my Facebook page seem to generate a lot of commentary and interest. Even more recently, one of the gals on my Running Moms group on Facebook has indicated she is trying to eat more veggies to fight depression and our group has had some exchanges on that topic. I'm seriously starting to feel like people are going to think I've gone off the deep-end. I was starting to wonder about myself until I got to thinking the smoothies were the reason I have been so inexplicably happy lately.

Really, I do have a lot of things in life to be thankful for. I tell my husband all the time, "We have our health." We are fortunate to have jobs at all in this economy, we have healthy children, we have a roof over our heads. But frankly, I've got a lot of stress and worry on my shoulders these days too. Up until a few weeks ago I was beginning to wonder how on earth I was going to come out of all of this. My circumstances haven't changed in the slightest over the last few weeks, not even budged but for whatever reason I feel GREAT. Weird, huh?

I tried to attribute it to some sort of epiphany. You can check out that post here. But the more I think about it, I think I drank the Kool-Aid smoothie.

Go ahead and Google "vegetables and depression" and a whole litany of material will come up about the topic. Vegetables, particularly raw veggies have vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function. Lack of some of them have a direct influence on depression and mood. I think what I have inadvertently done, with all my spinach and kale, is increase my folic acid (B9) and B6 and have given myself a natural high!

All I know is I really do feel much happier, less funk-y, and I am so happy that I am doing something that is good for me. Something natural that is actually working! Yeah, so I sound loony, and guess what? I am too happy to care.

Happy Hump Day! You know I love Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. bahahaha, I love your kool aid line :-) perhaps we should start a trend of wheat grass shots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had your post up right after you posted it, but then I had to give my boy a hair cut and then run out the door to Whole Foods...got back at 8:30, finally had dinner & watched TRON Legacy w Hubs (Netflix delivered our Saturday movie on Monday....so messed with our little routine..LOL). Sooooo...now that everyone is asleep, I'm back and glad I came.

    Actually, think it was your post that reminded me to pick up some more kale while I was at Whole Foods tonight. :> So, I'm pretty sure you can guess what I'll be having in the morning.

    I'm glad your smoothies are helping and working for you in so many ways. Vitamin B is a miracle worker and very cool that you are getting a great effect via the vits in the veggies! :> Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need a drink of the blues away. Great post! I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya, foods definitely affect your mood. And I can't tell you how much kale I have from my CSA so I think I'll be blending away!

    Great idea. Feel good girl!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing information.

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: