Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Satisfying Fall Butternut Squash Risotto

I love this time of year when I start seeing butternut squash at the Farmer's Market. I bought one over the weekend without a specific plan for what I was going to do with it. I waffled back and forth between a lasagna and risotto, and finally went with the risotto after 2 of my coworkers and my husband unanimously voted on it. 

**So I must first make a disclaimer which may make this recipe seem to take longer or have an extra step. Before I knew what I was going to do with it, I roasted it. Very simply, I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, and placed the halves face down on a cookie sheet and cooked at 400 degrees for 55 minutes. My squash weighed about 1.5 lbs. I did not actually make the risotto until the next day. The night I roasted it I let it cool and wrapped it in foil and put in the refrigerator. I did this because I LOVE roasted butternut squash, and it turned out to make the following recipe go a little faster because I did not have to wait for the squash to soften in the pan. Peeling the squash is much easier when it is already roasted, the peel practically falls off. Greatly reduces prep time. The following recipe is how you should proceed if your squash is NOT roasted.**

Here is what you'll need:
1.5 lb butternut squash with the peel and seeds removed and cut into 1 inch chunks
Salt and pepper
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
a couple dashes each of savory, rosemary and marjoram spice


*Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. While its melting, take a smaller saucepan and put both cans of chicken broth in on low heat and add 1/2 cup of water

*Add the squash and some salt and pepper. Stir often until the squash starts to soften, about 8 minutes.

*Add rice into the saucepan with the squash and butter, and stir to mix it in. Pour in the 1/2 cup of white wine and cook until the wine is absorbed and nearly evaporated.

*Add a ladle of broth mixture into the the squash pan and cook, stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Continue this process, adding liquid and letting it absorb while continuously stirring for about 40 minutes.



*At this point do a consistency taste-test to see if you like it. I myself do not like my risotto firm, so I usually let mine go another 5 minutes before I add in 1/3 cup of the cheese and a bit more salt.

Serve into wide and shallow pasta bowls and sprinkle a bit more cheese when serving.



YUM. It was creamy, delicious and filling. If you make this as a main course with a salad and bread for a simple yet tasty dinner, this recipe should easily serve 4.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I love butternut squash but I've always been intimidated by the peeling part. But now I will try it as you suggested, by roasting it first....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love the name of your blog, very clever.

    The risotto looks really good. If I was a better cook I'd try it!

    If you have a spare second please stop by The Bucket Project and let us know one thing you'd like to try/do/see before you "kick the bucket". All you need to do is comment on any post and we would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you!
    Jessi @ http://bucketproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: