Friday, September 17, 2010

Focus on Fitness, Drop the Excuses

In the beginning of this year I was facing 40 and was determined to be a fabulous 40, not a frumpy 40. I think I've managed to do a decent job in many areas: I have paid more attention to the food I ingest than I ever had in my life. I don't think I have ever put so much attention on eating fruits, vegetables, whole wheat/grains, organic products and cut WAY down on my sugar. I have made a point to try to eliminate the processed food in my family's diet. I have paid way more attention to how we spend our money.  I have become far more concerned with the environment and reducing my carbon footprint, and finding new uses for things and recycling as much as possible. I do my best to eat locally grown products.

The one area that I have not excelled is my fitness regimen. I haven't failed, but not met my goals. It's hard because I have two kids and my husband works most nights. I get home, do dinner quickly, bathe them, read books, put them to bed and I'm lucky if I get to read some of my book, look at a magazine or watch a TV show. Frankly, by the time my kids are in bed, I don't feel like working out. I'm tired and I want to sit down. So the smart thing to do would be to get up early and work out before my kids get up. Naturally, although I have set my alarm several times to attempt this, it just hasn't happened more than a few times. When summer was in full swing we would go for a walk in the neighborhood some nights after dinner, which was great. But that meant to get the kids to bed on time they had to skip their bath. Ok to do occasionally, but not something I would plan to do several times a week!

I have been diligent about working out both days on the weekends. I run with a friend, hit the trail with youngest in the jogging stroller, and hit the gym. The last couple weeks I have managed to fit in one weekday work out. I am going to try to do two next week.

I would love to get up early before work and at least do some cardio. I do not wake up until 7 a.m., some would say that is sleeping in! I haven't had to get up earlier than 7 a.m. EVER, so my body is conditioned...When my oldest starts kindergarten next year he will have to be at school at 7:45, and my that will all change, so I might as well start prepping now. I just have a hard time getting out of bed when it is still dark outside. Stay tuned on my progress.

Goals:
Run 12 miles per week
OR
Do interval training workout on treadmill if having a rough day
Weight training 2x per week
Yoga 1x per week

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog--I'm following!

    http://livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I too need to drop the exucuses! I'll be 40 in May and am determined to be one of the Hot Mama's:) Loved this post...just wish I didn't now feel so guilty about eating Doritios while I read it. Hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the follow... Swinging by and following back... Loving the blog.. hehehehehe Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...Love your honesty here. Thanks for following:) I'm following you back.

    Wishing you much success with your new routine. Know that you CAN do it and you will!

    Leigh,
    http://HolisticHealthMaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: