Sunday, January 30, 2011

Time to Stop Celebrating Already

Fall Happy Birthday Pictures, Images and Photos


OK Girl, the Holidays are OVER!

I know, I know, the holidays are so 2010!! I drank, I ate, I partied, I enjoyed. As I do every year, with a birthday in January, I don't start to really tighten my belt where food is concerned until after my birthday is over. I typically celebrate with friends and loved ones on my actual birthday, but have a slew of other lunch dates and what not that trail in afterwards. 

Liquid Lunch
If you follow my blog, you'll know that I spent most of my birthday weekend in Monterey with my husband and dear friends. We ate and drank our way through that town in a little over 24 hours that we were there. I tried to be good during the week...but on Sunday, my husband opened a bottle of wine that we bought on our weekend away, which we drank Sunday and Monday. Thursday, my boss bought our office a round of pints from the pub that is (unfortunately/fortunately) adjacent to our office. Then on Friday, I had lunch with a dear, old friend of mine at Ragoots which is an amazing place near my home. Of course a birthday lunch wouldn't be complete without a couple glasses of wine! I had this fabulous Tuscan Linguine that had artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and other yummy things that I love. I ate the whole thing! I skipped dinner that night because I wasn't even slightly hungry.

Liquid Breakfast
Saturday I had breakfast plans with some other dear girlfriends at Bill's. We decided to have a round of Bloody Marys. They were quite good, so we decided to have another round. Someone happened to mention that it was my birthday, in an offhand way, like "Let the birthday girl order first." I didn't give it a second thought, I mean, what would they do for your birthday at a breakfast joint anyway...surely not bring out cake with a candle in it! I had an omelet with spinach and gorgonzola, and hash browns. We were chatting it up and having a great time and enjoying our omelets when I start to hear a tambourine. I was about to say, "Why on earth would someone have a tambourine in here?", when it got louder, and then I heard another tambourine. Soon our table was surrounded by a group of waitstaff, who also starting banging on white plastic buckets with sticks and singing to me. I may have been crying, I was laughing so hard. I was surely stunned, and a little embarrased but it was so funny! AND, they bring your whole table a round of tequila shots! Can you say, liquid breakfast?? We were feeling no pain. After our "meal" we decided to walk around, and walk it off. Somehow we decided it would be a great idea to go to stop at Aqui, another great restaurant in town, but for their swirl margaritas which are to DIE for. It is a frozen margarita, swirled with sangria. We had a great time celebrating my birthday. I had a blast and I'm not mad at myself, my birthday only comes once a year. I think that is the last time I am celebrating this birthday, and I am going to buckle down.

Betty Ford
I started my morning with egg whites and wheat toast. And I made sure to get out for a run, although it is pretty rainy here. I managed to get 4 miles in and am feeling pretty good. I will be running for the next 4 mornings, and cutting out alcohol in any form during the week. I really enjoy having a glass of wine at night, but don't need the calories or the relaxation it brings when I have so much to do...like folding laundry or core/ab workouts while I watch TV. My running buddy decided on a positive affirmation that would help her get through the extra 1/2 mile we have decided to add to our morning runs. I thought I would share with you the song that runs through my heads when I feel like I want to quit. It's called "I'm a Survivor" by Destiny's Child. It's actually about a woman surviving the break up of her relationship...but I don't think about that. I just like the chorus and apply that to my running.








Have a GREAT week!!

3 comments:

  1. It's official. I would like for you to plan my next birthday. Please and thank you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten off track myself lately. Back on the wagon! That's the important thing, right? Getting back on that horse. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you, I am so far off the right track it isn't even funny! I'm having a much harder time this year getting back into the groove after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: