Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Adventures in Purple Cauliflower


Isn't this beautiful? I saw this purple cauliflower at the Farmer's Market and had to buy it. I couldn't resist the deep, gorgeous color. According to the Livestrong website, cauliflower has all the nutritional benefits of regular cauliflower but is also packed with antioxidants. Who knew this pretty flowery vegetable is a healthy source of vitamin C, phosphorus, potassium and folate to add to your diet? I usually only eat white cauliflower in crudite platters at parties, dipped in some variation of ranch dressing. I wanted to really taste this vegetable, not dressing, since it was my first time. I prepared it very simply, and must say, really enjoyed it. It's so nice to have variety at the dinner table!

Super easy: Cut cauliflower into florets. Drizzle with olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper. Roast about 20 minutes at 425*. Great to let this cook (even in a countertop-style oven) while you are working on the rest of your dinner.

Enjoy!

Have you ever eaten or even seen purple cauliflower before? This was my first time, I had to try it!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! Looks delicious! I've never seen purple cauliflower at the farmer's markets where I live. You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauliflower and had to pick this one up when I saw it in the grocery store for the first time in France. I cook it all the same ways I would prepare regular cauliflower and it is delicious and my son gets a kick out of the color. The only bad thing is that it is so much pricier than the white one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cauliflower is my favorite veggie. I love it raw and cooked. I have never seen it purple before but I have to say it sure does look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote about purple cauliflower on my blog! I grew it in my garden. And I roasted mine too. :) It's delicious, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's so good! I hope there is more at the Farmer's Market tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Hungripeeps want to say: