Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy!

I started off my day with a gorgeous hike after breakfast. One of my lifelong friends and I trudged up a local mountain which is incredibly steep. Not only are our buns and thighs burning on our way up, but our cardiovascular limits are put to the test. I love this hike. Its not very long, but it is close to home, so we make up for it by doing it twice. It was a great way to start the day! I'm glad the weather held up for us because a storm is brewing, according to the news. I am proud to say I exercised 6 out of the last 7 days. I am determined to keep it up!

I had a big appetite at lunch time today, so indulged in a Trader Joe's Parmesan Pesto Turkey Burger. I love Trader Joe's! This turkey burger was pretty tasty. My hiking partner had told me that when she tried one she thought it was good but was surprised it was a little greasy, since turkey burgers are usually on the dry side. I read the package and they are 260 calories and have 18 grams of fat per serving. I wasn't sure how I felt about the 18 grams of fat but felt I had earned them on the hike so I went for it. Sometimes you just can't beat convenience.

Need to add a little twist to dinner tonight? As an alternative to green salad, I think salads with fruit are great companions for chicken, pork chops, and fish at dinner time. During the summer it is great to pack for picnic lunches. Here is a very simple recipe to feed a family of four. Bon Appetit!

2 red apples
1 green apple (you can experiment but almost any kind works well)
1 Bartlett pear
1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
salt to taste

Whisk together the vinegar and orange juice in a large bowl.

Remove the apple and pear cores and chop fruit into bite-sized cubes. Leave the peeling on. Add the fruit and the walnuts to the bowl with the vinegar and orange juice. Add the dried cranberries. Toss well, drizzle with olive oil and then toss again.

Salt to taste. Ready to enjoy, but I like it better a little refrigerated.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungripeeps want to say: