Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A New Day

Today I wanted to go with a different approach at breakfast. Rather than have my usual carbfest, which doesn't appear to be working for me, I decided to go for 1 scrambled egg and 1 piece of turkey sausage. I have to say, I stayed satisfied much longer than I had after my typical morning fare. By the way, I need to mention I have coffee, without fail, each and every morning. I typically have the coffee maker set and ready to automatically go at 7 a.m. One of my guilty indulgences is Nestle Coffeemate. I know, the ingredient list is full of stuff I can't even pronounce but there is just nothing like it. I figure (at least I hope) that a couple tablespoons of that every day aren't going to kill me!

Once at work, I was plugging right along until my mid-morning snack at 10 a.m, which today was a Luna Bar in Blueberry Bliss. Its just enought sweet and just enough carb to get me through to lunch. Next job on the agenda was to preview my lunch menu. One of our networks was taking our team out today with our new director. I wanted to make sure I found something healthy and went into the restaurant with something already in mind so I wouldn't be tempted. We were going to this fabulous place downtown called 71 St. Peter 71 St. Peter which has a Mediterranean theme. Even though I've heard of the "Mediterranean Diet" and know that people of this decent are typically healthy due to their diet, I don't quite think I was safe to order just anything off the menu!

So, pat me on the back everyone, I did well! I drank only water, ordered the butternut squash soup for a starter, and went with the seared ahi salad. I'm sure the soup had some cream in it, but I still think I made good choices. I didn't even touch the bread. It did help that I was at lunch with the people I am doing the weight loss challenge with...jokesters that we are, we all tried to get each other to eat the bread and order dessert. The prize pot is $500 after all! All of us did really well. Someone ordered dessert for the table as only half of us are doing the challenge, and a creme brulee was brought out and placed right in front of me. I had a teaspoon because I surely didn't want to be rude....

So far tonight I haven't figured out what I want to eat for dinner. I just ended up having some cottage cheese, blueberries and 1/2 banana. I need to drink more water tonight and drink some green tea. I danced with my 3 year old to the Wiggles for a few songs before I had to start their dinner. Looks like I won't be working out tonight, but I plan to exercise 3 more times this week. I need to kick it up a notch if I'm going to start seeing some real results.

If you like salmon check out this super easy and yummy recipe from the January 2010 issue of Parenting Magazine (they have good recipes in there sometimes, who knew?). I made it a few days ago and thought it was great, and again SO easy.

olive-oil spray
1 lb. frozen wild salmon, thawed
2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. black pepper divided

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil; coat with oil spray. Place salmon, skin side down, on the foil. Top with 2 tsp. soy sauce, onion and garlic powders, ginger, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Bake 10 mins. until cooked.

The magazine recipe included a side of mashed edamame. I love regular edamame, and any recipe that requres me getting out my food processor during the week is too complicated because I have enough dishes to do as it is. I just boiled the frozen edamame from Trader Joe's for about 5 mins., and tossed it with some lemon juice, olive oil and salt to taste. I also had brown rice. Uncle Ben's ready rice rocks. You cut the top of the package and put it in your microwave for 90 seconds...and its piping hot and good to go. Again, no dish to wash!

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungripeeps want to say: