Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Baaack!


I feel a little bit guilty that my blog has been MIA since I've been back from Vegas. The truth is, since I flew in on Monday, I have had so much laundry to do and bills to pay and just catching up in general that I fell off the wagon. There really should be no excuses! That is one of the reasons started this blog, to make me accountable for my actions, and I have to admit it has really helped. Knowing that I had not posted anything in the last 7 days was a total motivator in getting me back on track. Today I went running after work and am going to re-dedicate myself to my health and fitness plan.

So was I as decadent as I thought on my 40th birthday vacay? Yes and no. I was by no means eating salads and cottage cheese all weekend, yet I still felt like I could have done worse. There was no avoiding the alcohol in my opinion, so let's just get that out there right now. When we first arrived I ate a turkey burger at lunch that was pretty big so I only ate half. That night for dinner, I had a healthy meal of grilled fish and caesar salad. Of course I had dessert at my birthday dinner! The dessert sampler - mocha cake, pumpkin cheesecake, creme brulee - I was in heaven. I shared with the table naturally. The next morning, I splurged on french toast and a side of bacon, but left half of it for my husband when I left for my massage. For lunch, we had a great Asian meal which was served family style. The dishes consisted of noodles, soups, stir frys, sushi rolls, etc. That night for dinner we kept it simple since we had such a large lunch and all shared a fabulous charcutrie platter of meats, cheeses, bread, dried fruit and pate. We saw a show that night and I shared some peanut M&M's with my friends. I am sure my calorie count for the day was sky high. There was a digital scale in our hotel room, and I was happy to find out it didn't work! I knew I wasn't planning on dieting in Las Vegas anyway, but its only right that I report the good, the bad and the ugly.

I did pretty well this (short) week despite not working out. I still ate nonfat yogurt and blueberries with whole wheat toast most mornings for breakfast, ate at Subway for lunch 3 times this week because I did not have it together enough to make my lunch. I had salmon and veggies for dinner last night. Another dinner this week was a black bean and cheese burrito with a low carb tortilla. There was another night this week where I had some angel hair pasta and steamed brocolli tossed with parmesan and olive oil. I did slip up one day and had pizza and salad for lunch. Someone was buying and it was my favorite pizza place, soooo...I caved. I don't do well with total deprivation! I ran today, will work out tomorrow and am hiking a brutal hill on Sunday.

I also got caught up on Oprah and watched the show where they discussed the documentary Food, Inc.. This wasn't the first time I had heard of the detrimental effect big corporations have on how and what we eat. I can't wait to see the movie. Alicia Silverstone was also on to discuss her book The Kind diet and about her life as a vegan. While I am not quite sure that going the vegan route is for me at this time, I do like the idea of incorporating more vegan meals into my diet. This is something that will require a concerted effort on my part but I think my body could really benefit from such a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungripeeps want to say: